Eggplant Cannelloni au Gratin
- 1 large eggplant
- 2 ml (1/2 teaspoon) of salt
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) of flour
- 150 ml (2/3 cup) of olive oil
- 85 ml (1/3 cup) of mushrooms, quartered
- 85 ml (1/3 cup) of zucchini, diced
- 85 ml (1/3 cup) of yellow bell pepper, diced
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) of olive oil
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) of green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 (570 ml or 19 oz.) can of tomatoes, drained and diced
- 4 sun-dried tomatoes, diced
- 22 ml (1 1/2 tablespoons) of basil pesto
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) of provolone cheese, diced
- 1 ml (1/4 tsp) of salt
- 1 pouch (40 g) of Chef LELARGE Fine Cuisine Bechamel Sauce Mix
- 500 ml (2 cups) of milk
- 6 chives, finely chopped
- 2 ml (1/2 teaspoon) of basil pesto
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 4 slices of provolone cheese
1. Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F).
2. Slice eggplant lengthwise into 8 slices, about 1 cm (1/2 inch) thick. Sprinkle with salt and let drain about 30 minutes.
3. Rinse eggplant, wipe dry and dredge in flour.
4. In a frying pan, heat oil and fry eggplant until golden, about 3 minutes per side.
5. For stuffing, in a frying pan, cook mushrooms, zucchini and bell pepper in olive oil over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add green onions, remove from heat, then add remaining stuffing ingredients.
6. In a saucepan, prepare the Bechamel Sauce according to directions on package. Add chives, pesto and garlic.
7. Divide stuffing evenly on eggplant slices and roll up like cannelloni.
8. Pour a little sauce into an ovenproof dish; place eggplant rolls side by side, then cover with remaining sauce. Arrange cheese slices on top.
9. Bake for 20 minutes.
Tips and advices
Use aged cheddar or Swiss cheese to vary the recipe, or consider making the dish in individual ramekins to create tasty tapas!