Crepes Stuffed with Mushrooms and Aged Cheddar
- 1 package button mushrooms, about 250 g
(1/2 lb.), quartered
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) of vegetable oil
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) of butter
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) of red pepper, in small pieces
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) of French shallots, coarsely chopped
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) of white wine
- 1 ml (1/4 teaspoon) of fresh thyme
- 1 pouch (40 g) of Chef LELARGE Fine Cuisine Bechamel Sauce
- 500 ml (2 cups) of milk
- 5 ml (1 tsp) of parsley flakes
- Black pepper to taste
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) of aged Cheddar cheese, grated
- 4crêpes bretonnes (Breton-style pancakes), thin and unsweetened
1. In a saucepan over high heat, brown the mushrooms in the oil and butter about 5 minutes. Add the red pepper and shallots, then cook over medium heat about 2 minutes. Deglaze with white wine, add the thyme and reduce to half over medium heat.
2. Dissolve the pouch of Bechamel Sauce mix in the milk and pour into saucepan. Add the parsley and pepper, then simmer for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in 85 ml (1/3 cup) of Cheddar cheese.
3. Fill the crepes with this mixture and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Tips and advices
Mushrooms are like sponges, so it’s best to simply wipe them off or rinse them quickly rather than washing them with lots of water. In addition, it is recommended to brown only a few mushrooms at a time in order to avoid having too much moisture in the pan, which would cause them to be boiled instead of sautéed.
This mixture can also be used to fill puff pastry shells.