Snails in a Red Wine Sauce with Fine Herbs
- 2 slices of crusty bread, cut into large cubes
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) of olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) of Chef LELARGE Red Wine Vinegar
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) of red wine
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) of chicken stock
- 40 ml (1 oz.) of chilled butter, diced
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 (125 g) cans of Chef LELARGE Snails, drained and rinsed
- 2 sprigs of chervil, chopped
1. In a sauté pan over medium-high heat, cook the bread in olive oil until golden. Reserve.
1. Add the shallots, vinegar and wine to a clean pan, over medium high heat, and let boil until the liquids are reduced to 30 ml (2 tablespoons).
2. Add the chicken stock to the pan and reduce again by half.
3. Remove pan from heat and add the butter, whisking constantly until it is incorporated. Season to taste. Set aside the sauce over very low heat.
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
2. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and add the snails.
3. Place tray in the centre of the oven for 5 to 10 minutes in order to heat snails through.
4. Divide between 4 plates.
5. Ladle sauce over snails and garnish with the fine herbs and croutons. Serve immediately.
Tips and advices
Replace the chervil with tarragon to change the flavour slightly. For a sweeter sauce, replace the red wine vinegar with White Balsamic Chef LELARGE.