Braised Beef and Balsamic Vinegar from Modena
- 500 g (1 lb.) of beef sirloin, sliced
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) of unbleached flour
- 30 g (1 oz.) of butter
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) of olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) of white wine
- 250 ml (1 cup) of Chef LELARGE Balsamic Vinegar from Modena
- 500 ml (2 cups) of beef stock
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) of raw or brown sugar
- 45 ml (3 tablespoons) of 35% cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
Balsamic Vinegar from Modena
1. Salt and pepper the beef slices and toss them in flour.
2. In a large sauté pan over medium heat, brown the beef slices in 2 batches in the butter and olive oil.
3. Remove beef slices from pan and add the onions and garlic. Sauté for 2 minutes and then deglaze pan with the wine.
4. Add the vinegar, stock, and thyme. Return the browned meat to the pan. Let simmer for 45 minutes.
5. Add the sugar and cream and season to taste. Serve.
Tips and advices
For variety, try using Red Wine Vinegar Chef LELARGE or Shallot Red Wine Vinegar Chef LELARGE in this recipe. Replace the beef stock with veal cubes for a more subtle flavour.