Mini Crab Cakes with a Corn Salsa and White Balsamic Reduction
- Balsamic reduction:
- 500 ml (2 cups) of Chef LELARGE White Balsamic
- 1 (398 ml) can of Chef LELARGE Young Corn on Cobs, cut in 1 cm (1/2 inch) slices
- 250 ml (1 cup) of cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 5 mint leaves, sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Crab Cakes:
- 2 (120 g) cans ofChef LELARGE Crab Meat and Leg, well drained
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) of homemade or store-bought mayonnaise
- 1 egg
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 rib of celery, finely chopped
- 180 ml (3/4 cup) of bread crumbs
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) of hot sauce
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) of sea salt
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) of pepper
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) of unbleached all-purpose flour
- Sufficient quantity of canola oil
- 500 ml (2 cups) of spring salad mix
Crab Meat and Leg
1. In a small saucepan, bring the vinegar to a boil over medium heat and reduce the vinegar until only about 100 ml remains (8-10 minutes). Let cool.
1. In a medium-sized bowl, combine half the garlic and half the shallots with the corn, tomatoes and mint.
2. Add a tablespoon of balsamic reduction and mix. Season to taste.
1. In a large bowl, combine the drained crab meat with the mayonnaise, egg, remaining garlic, remaining shallots, celery, breadcrumbs, hot sauce, salt and pepper.
2. Mix by hand and form cakes the size of golf balls.
3. Place the crab cakes in a dish containing the flour and lightly dust them on all sides. Flatten them slightly before place them in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
4. Generously coat the bottom of the pan with oil.
5. Heat the oil over medium heat and pan-fry the cakes for 2 minutes on each side or until they are golden and crispy.
1. Place 1/2 a cup of salad in the centre of each of 4 plates.
2. Place 2 hot cakes overtop and garnish each plate with salsa.
3. Drizzle each plate with the balsamic reduction and serve.
Tips and advices
Replace the spring salad mix with baby spinach leaves or mâche. Try making the reduction with Balsamic Vinegar from Modena Chef LELARGE.